Licensed Home Child Care Program
Mothercraft Ottawa’s Licensed Home Child Care Program has been providing quality child care for children from infancy to 12 years of age since 1983. We offer unlimited child care spaces in areas throughout the City of Ottawa (see specific neighbourhoods below) and subsidized spaces are available upon approval by the City of Ottawa. Parents tell us that this program gives them the “best of both worlds” as they receive the benefits of a family atmosphere and individual attention, combined with legislated standards for quality and safety.
Our program is licensed by the Ontario Ministry of Education and governed by the Child Care and Early Year’s Act (http://www.edu.gov.on.ca).
We have providers in the following areas (listed by City of Ottawa Ward):
- 3 – Barrhaven
- 7 – Bayshore/Britannia/Ramsey/Dumaurier/Draper/Elmira
- 8 – Centrepointe/Pinecrest/Bells Corners
- 9 – Craig Henry/Maitland
- 12 – Sandy Hill/Vanier
- 13 – Sandy Hill/Overbrook
- 14 – Preston
- 15 – Westboro
- 16 – Kirkwood
- 22 – Findlay Creek/Riverside South
- 23 – Kanata South
* We continue to grow and expand into new areas – please contact us for further information.
Flexible based on the needs of the family.
Our team of Licensed Home Child Care Advisors are all either experienced Early Childhood Educators or have equivalent education and extensive child care experience and must be approved by the Ministry of Education. We ensure that all of our Registered Early Childhood Educators are members in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators and we require each member of our team to maintain valid first aid and CPR certifications, and a Police Records Check for service with the Vulnerable Sector.
Licensed Home Child Care Providers
Our Providers are independently contracted by Mothercraft Ottawa. We select candidates who are culturally and linguistically diverse and ensure they are first aid and CPR certified and trained in ELECT (Early Learning for Every Child Today). We also require all Providers to attend ongoing training workshops on a variety of pertinent topics including menu planning, the importance of exercise, first words, developing age-appropriate activities, etc. Providers and all individuals living in and/or regularly visiting their home are screened through the Police Records Check for service with the Vulnerable Sector.
Benefits of Licensed Home Child Care
- Up to a maximum of six non-familial children in each home.
- Flexible hours include evenings, overnight and weekends.
- Unannounced regular visits by the Advisors to ensure that homes comply with government regulations/legislation and meet Mothercraft Ottawa’s high standards.
- Health and safety checks are completed regularly.
- Meals and snacks are provided by the Home Child Care Provider.
- The Advisors assess the Providers and monitor and support the child care arrangements.
- Independent point of contact for families.
- Alternate care can be arranged if your Provider is ill or on vacation.
- Providers are insured.
- The Ministry of Education makes unannounced visits to a number of Providers’ homes during Mothercraft Ottawa’s licensing process.
- Our Advisors make every effort to accommodate the needs of each family.
How Our Waiting List Works
The Home Child Care and Centre based programs work with the City of Ottawa Child Care Registry and Waitlist (CCRAW) when there are spaces available.
We do have some priorities that we consider when inviting new families to join us. In order of priority, we:
- Meet the needs of the children currently enrolled
- Welcome siblings of children currently enrolled
- Welcome other Mothercraft service user
- Welcome families new to Mothercraft
Families who are interested in any of our programs are asked to visit the City of Ottawa’s Child Care Registry and Wait List and apply by selecting their Mothercraft program of choice.