Human Resource Generalist / Executive Assistant (Full time – 37.5 hours/week)
Mothercraft Ottawa is a non-profit multifaceted family support agency offering a wide array of programs for families from pregnancy to school age. We are seeking someone who has a passion for within a caring, family services environment to support our staff and organization reach the next level of excellence.
The Human Resource Generalist / Executive Assistant, under the direction of the Executive Director, will allocate approximately 50% of their role to serving as a Human Resource Generalist and 50% of their role as an Executive Assistant.
In the Human Resource Generalist role, the individual collaborate with the Executive Director to advise employees and managers on the interpretation of human resources policies, compensation and benefit programs. This position will monitor human resources related documentation to ensure legislative compliance, accuracy, consistency, and relevance to business processes. This position will collaborate with the Corporate Service team to maintain accurate, up-to-date, and complete personnel records.
This role will also support the Executive Director in the capacity of an Executive Assistant, primarily through drafting of correspondence, minutes and memos, scheduling and organizing meetings, and assisting with research and data collection for reports.
- Prepare agendas for meetings, and transcribe and distribute meeting minutes
- Organize, maintain, and coordinate office records and files
- Coordinate the logistical aspects of departmental programs such as meetings, seminars, workshops, special projects, and events
- Assist in the compilation of data for various reports
- Monitor human resources related documentation to ensure accuracy, consistency, and relevance to business processes
- Advise employees and managers on the interpretation and application of human resources policies, compensation and benefit programs
- Ensure compliance with relevant employment and occupational health and safety legislation
- Draft memoranda, correspondence, policies, reports, proposals, job descriptions, policies, and other employment documentation
- Coordinate and facilitate the recruitment process including, posting, initial screening, participating in interviewing, reference checking, preparing letters of offer and assisting with orientation
- Implement employee/personnel programs, including skills development training and health and safety programs
- Stay abreast on compliance requirements and industry best practices; recommend changes or modifications to existing policies and programs to remain in compliance; and adopt best practices where feasible
- Ensure Mothercraft is complying with and maintaining its pay equity obligations
The Human Resources/ Executive Assistant must possess the following:
- Degree or diploma in a related field
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP)
- First Aid & CPR certification
- Satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check
Qualified candidates will also require:
- Three years of related experience
- Strong knowledge of applicable employment and health and safety legislation
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
- Ability to work individually as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated time management skills
- High flexibility with strong interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse environment
- Knowledge of and exposure to a range of human resources activities, including some of the following: recruitment, orientation, compensation and benefits, performance management, employee relations, and employee communications
- Strong sense of ethics and the ability to handle sensitive or private information with tact and discretion
- Ability to write and format moderately complex correspondence, including minutes, memos and letters
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Experience with pay equity
- English fluency required, French fluency is an asset
Mothercraft Ottawa offers competitive compensation, benefits and professional development opportunities.
Qualified applicants should contact Executive Director at:
Alicia Ashton, Executive Director
Applications will be accepted until Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 5:00 pm.
Mothercraft Ottawa is committed to providing a barrier-free work environment in concert with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. As such, Mothercraft Ottawa will make accommodations available to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process.
Mothercraft Ottawa strives to ensure that its employment practices are free from direct and indirect discrimination and is committed to upholding the human rights of those participating in the hiring process. In pursuit of this commitment, Mothercraft Ottawa will not condone or tolerate any acts of discrimination or harassment under any of the grounds protected under human rights legislation. This commitment extends to the hiring process and throughout the course of employment.